- Who I Serve
While each client is unique, individuals that will benefit from my services include:
• Professional athletes (current or retired);
• Business owners, executives, or key personnel;
• High net worth individuals and families; and
• Retirees, pre-retirees, or are within 10 years of retirement.
The typical clients are:
• Patient, long-term investors committed to having a custom financial and investment plan to work for the rest of their lives – not short-term trading that may or may not work;
• Successful, family and community-oriented that supersede money and personal belongings;
• Value the safety of their investment plan and less emphasis on high risk to generate maximum returns.
The typical clients are not:
• Disrupted by one bad day in the market in order to reach their financial goals;
• Looking for the stock tip of the week (or penny stock) that their co-worker, friend or family member gave them;
• Influenced by mainstream financial coaches (such as Suze Orman or Dave Ramsey) that give generic, biased “one-size-fits-all” advice.
- How I Work
I am a fee-only financial advisor that proudly acts as a fiduciary for my clients. This means I have the legal obligation to put clients’ best interests far before my own in all recommendations I make. However, I don’t need financial regulation to do the right thing.
Each client receives a custom financial and investment management plan geared towards their unique financial goals and objectives. I build these plans around life events such as retirement, wealth transfer, business succession planning, and asset protection.
I communicate regularly through technology and visit with each client at least twice per year and provide unlimited email support between meetings. Although my offices are located in Lake Mary and Palm Coast, I work with many from all over the United States virtually through web conferencing, webinars, phone, and email.
All clients have 24/7 secure online access to their accounts. My firm invests heavily in technology to provide clients with real-time account alerts and monitoring to ensure all planning is done at the time it is needed, rather than the reactionary way many advisors provide support.
- Fee Structure & Compensation
I charge a simple, low, flat fee for financial planning. In many instances, my initial financial planning fee is only $500 and comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee or you pay nothing. For clients that want ongoing help managing their investments fees are based on a percentage of assets under management. For asset management, we strive to keep costs as low as possible, so clients can keep more of their return (the way it should be). If you’d like complete details of my firm’s fee schedule just use the contact form on my site and I’m happy to provide an estimate for your situation.
When we manage accounts it is done so via an independent custodian and we never (ever) take custody of client assets. This is important as it protects investors from fraud and theft. It also ensures I never make a commission for transactions since I am not a representative of any financial custodian. Most of our clients’ assets are held with either TD Ameritrade or FOLIO Institutional though we have the ability to work with others if the situation calls for it.
- Fiduciary vs. Suitability Standard
The standard to act in a client’s best interest is called fiduciary duty. Registered representatives and stockbrokers are held to a lesser measure, known as the suitability standard. It requires brokers to sell investments they believe are suitable, not necessarily what’s best for their clients. This difference can mean a substantial amount of money in the long run.
Ex. You invest $10,000 a year in a low-cost investment and end up earning more than $1 million over a 30-year period. Investing the same amount with your broker’s “suitable” product can cost you a few percentage points each year, leaving possibly hundreds of thousands of retirement dollars out of your hands, all while earning your broker more compensation.
Strip away the jargon and the problem is obvious; most investment products sold can be deemed “suitable” that are not in your best interest. Unfortunately, the average investor often doesn’t know the subtle difference and is at a disadvantage because of how this profession operates.
For more on “Fiduciary vs. Suitability Standard,” please read my article featured on WealthManagement.com titled “Is Your Financial Advisor Working for You.”
Note: If the investment firms disclosure has “Securities offered through ABC Financial (ABC) Member FINRA/SIPC” they are not fee-only and do not fit the fiduciary standard.
- Strategic Partnerships
I work with several strategic partners (and always looking for more) to optimize my value-added approach for my clients, including, but not limited to:
• Estate Planning Attorneys;
• Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and Enrolled Agents (EAs);
• Sports and Entertainment Agents;
• Family Offices;
• Banking Professionals;
• Mortgage Brokers and Loan Officers;
• Property & Casualty Insurance Agents;
• Credit Repair and Establishment Services;
• Private Investors and Short-Term Loans; and
• several others.
I don’t receive outside or third-party compensation or charge extra fees for these services.
- Could We Work Together?
If after reading above you’d like to have a conversation about working together I’d be happy to invest an hour of my time getting to know you better, your financial goals, and help determine if there’s value I can provide in your life. I do all of my initial appointments via the phone and/or web conference. To set up an initial meeting, have your questions answered, and to see if we could be a good fit, use the “Book Appointment” button below.
Do you have a question for Carlos or would like him to speak at your next event? For booking information, media inquiries, or for financial, tax, and investment questions, please fill out the form below.